The objectives of SLP are
- to promote, in collaboration with other organizations*, the psychological discipline in its various sectors at the national and international level;
- to promote the contacts, the exchange of information and collaboration between its members;
- to defend a professional deontology;
- to take care of the social and cultural interests of its members;
- to defend the professional interests of psychologists and in particular to take care of the protection of the title of psychologist;
- to promote scientific research in the field of psychology.
* SLP endorses national psychologists' and psychotherapists' associations only if they have agreed to abide by the SLP ethical code, stipulate a high professional qualification as eligibility criterion for membership and do not promote scientifically doubtful or recondite "psychological" approaches (either directly or indirectly).